** Update: Friday 20 February, 2015 **
The weather gods have not smiled kindly upon us today.
Unfortunately, the Harvest event is going to have to be postponed.
Lots more rain is forecast for this whole region, continuing tomorrow, as cyclone Marcia batters Queensland.
The new date is 16 May 2015, and this event will probably involve lemon harvesting (for limoncello…).
Grow and Imogen’s Farm Wines are in the process of contacting everyone who has bought tickets. If you don’t receive a call or an email, and you need more information, please call Douglas and Christine on 02-66895839.
* * *
Title: Sample Food Festival
Location: Bangalow Show Ground
Link out: Click here
Description: “A taste of Northern New South Wales”
Start Time: 08:00
End Time: 20:00
Come and say hello at the Imogen’s Farm, Winery and Farmstay stall at Sample next Saturday!
There are some great ideas for things to do during your stay at Imogen’s Farm on our events calendar for winter and spring (top right of your screen)…
The diverse events include the Nimbin Performance Poetry World Cup, the first screenings of “Rock the Gate” (a locally made feature film), Opera at The Channon, and Faith Newham’s full day cooking classes nearby (in Whian Whian). For information about Faith, see http://www.byronnews.com.au/story/2011/12/29/farmers-market-to-star-faith-no-more/. Faith’s classes at Whian Whian are as follows. Sourdough bread: Saturday 18 August, Sunday 26 August. Pastry: Saturday 1 September. Cakes and Tarts: Saturday 9 September.
Call 02-66895178 or email: potrest1[removethesewords&brackets]@bigpond.com, for more information.
Faith will also be teaching a pie making class, at Peppertree Kitchen, Lismore, on Wednesday 22nd August. See http://peppertreekitchen.com.au/collections/cooking-classes
For a comprehensive events list, see visitlismore.com.au/events.
Imogen’s Farm ‘Tilly’ Limoncello won gold, and ‘Jagera’ Sweet Jaboticaba won bronze in the Best Fortified Wine (Dessert Wine) category in the Australian Fruit Wine Awards held in Cairns recently (www.cairnswineawards.com.au/australian-fruit-wine-awards/the-fruit-wine-awards).
‘Tilly’ and ‘Jagera’ are both made from local, unsprayed fruit.
Last week an old friend, Elizabeth Friehaut, came to visit. She timed the visit well, because Douglas Kesteven and Keith Moore (from Dublin) were making Limoncello (a zesty, fortified fruit wine made from Imogen’s Farm bush lemons, with a lower alcohol content than the traditional Italian liqueur).
Libby at the farmstay
Douglas Kesteven making Limoncello
Keith Moore "testing" the Limoncello
This is just a selection of the events happening in our area during July and August. See the Lismore Visitors Centre events list for lots more events, and full details.
- Fri 16 July – Live Music “The Kelly Gang” @ The Dunoon Sports Club
- Sat 17 – 18 July – North Coast National Campdraft @ Lismore Showground
- Fri 23, Fri 30 July – Bundjalung Seafood & Wild Bush Tucker Evening @ GunnaWannaBe cafe and gallery, South Lismore
- Sat 24 July – Monster trucks show @ Lismore Showgrounds
- Sun 25 July – Opera at The Channon @ Coronation Park, The Channon
- Thurs 29 July – Theatre Royal Afternoon Melodies @ Lismore Workers Club, Keen St, Lismore
- Thurs 29, Fri 30, Sat 31 July – NORPA Play “Engine” @ Star Court Theatre, Lismore. Music created by Dolphin Award winner, Matt Hill.
- Fri 30 July – Sun 1 Aug, and Fri 6 – Sun 8 Aug – Horseman of Snowy River @ Lismore Showground.
- Fri 30 July – Live Music “Street Cafe” @ The Dunoon Sports Club
- Sat 31 July & 1 Aug – Nimbin Performance Poetry World Cup @ Nimbin Town Hall & various cafes
- Tues 3 & Sun 8 Aug – St Kilda Film Festival - NORPA Sunday Films @ Star Court Theatre, Lismore
- Tues 3 Aug, 7.30pm & Wed 4 Aug, 10.30am – NORPA Play “Twelfth Night” @ Lismore City Hall
- Fri 6 – Sun 8 Aug – Bentley Art Prize @ Bentley Public Hall
- Fri 6 Aug – Sun 8 Aug – Byron Bay Writers Festival @ Belongil Fields, Byron Bay
- Mon 9 Aug – 23 Aug – Djanbung Permaculture Gardens Short Courses @ Cecil St, Nimbin
- Tues 10 & Sun 15 Aug – “Leaving” – NORPA Sunday Films @ Star Court Theatre, Lismore
- Wed 11 Aug – NCEIA Dolphin Awards @ One Nightclub, Lismore (North Coast Entertainment Awards)
- Thurs 12 – Sun 15 Aug – Bangalow Music Festival @ Bangalow A&I Hall
- Fri 13 Aug, 8pm – NORPA Live Music “Mandinka Sound” @ Lismore City Hall
- Fri 13 – Sun 15 Aug – Bushman’s Heritage & Camp Oven Festival @ Casino Village RV Resort
- Fri 13 Aug – Live Music “GIGAS” @ The Dunoon Sports Club
- Sun 15 – Sat 21 Aug – The Northern Rivers Vintage & Veteran Car Club 6 Day Hub Rally @ Lismore & surrounding villages
- Sun 22 Aug, 12pm – Lismore Wine and Food Fair @ Invercauld House, Lismore
- Fri 27 Aug – Live Music “Cath Simes Band” @ The Dunoon Sports Club
- Sat 28 – Sun 29 Aug – Alstonville Annual Art & Craft Fair @ Alstonville Entertainment Centre
Our Winter Hot Deal (a farmstay accommodation offer with a difference) has been selected in the top ten (out of forty five). The top ten deals are being promoted by Northern Rivers Tourism (at no charge to the operators!) on the Rivers of Life website, in local Visitors Centres, etc. Check out our offer at riversoflife.com.au/hot-deals
Lantern Parade (Lismore, 26 June 2010)
Christine and Douglas Kesteven had a great time at their Lantern Parade stall. They were in the perfect position: close enough to the band stage to see all the acts; far enough away to hear the customers (just!); and next to the Mayfields Restaurant (Dunoon) stall (where Kristen, Terry, Scott and co. also did a roaring trade).
There were “guest selling appearances” by Chris and John of Jagera (Whian Whian jaboticaba growers), Mark Whinton (The Channon), Nathan and Jessica. Customers were most interested in the local drops: Jaboticaba*, Chambourcin and Limoncello, although stocks of all the wines plus the lime cordial now need to be replenished….
Thanks to all who visited the stall!
*Three visitors from Brazil particularly enjoyed this one.
Christine and Douglas Kesteven have added some exciting new products to their range: Real Lime cordial, Real Lemon cordial and Vincotto, a traditional Italian preserve (literally “cooked wine”). Vincotto is a dark, sweet dense preserve made by cooking grapes for hours. Imogen’s Farm products are now being used by the Byron at Byron Restaurant. Also, visit the winery page for details of new wines being sold now at local markets including Byron Bay Farmers (Thursdays), Mullumbimby Farmers (Fridays), Lismore Farmers (Saturdays), The Channon Craft Market (every second Sunday), and Bangalow (every fourth Sunday).
Douglas Kesteven (centre) preparing to make wine with Ludwig Rogiers (left) and Magaly Boussemaere, from Belgium. January 2010
Douglas Kesteven was interviewed by Emma Sykes from ABC Rural. The interview aired on the radio on Thursday, 10/12/2009. See http://www.abc.net.au/rural/content/2009/s2767281.htm, or listen to the MP3: http://mpegmedia.abc.net.au/rural/200912/r484337_2482322.mp3